Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Saying goodbye to a wonderful woman

This past Saturday, April 9th, Greg's grandmother passed away - Charlotte Ruth Harr, age 96.

I only knew Grandmother for a very short five years, but I learned very quickly that she is a kind, loving, smart, strong-willed, admired woman. She welcomed me to the family the day I met her. I loved hearing her stories, especially the ones of Ruthie (Greg's mom) and Charlie when they were children. I recall Charlie trying to sneak a peak of Ruthie as a baby in her bassinet and Charlie actually knocking Ruthie out of the bassinet....that explains a lot! haha  :)

She adored Carson. In fact, visiting Grandmother in Wichita Falls was our first road trip w/ Carson. Normally a three hour drive took us about 5 hours! :)  After the diaper changing, feedings, and worried mommy-stops, we finally made it. I remember asking her if she wanted to hold Carson (6 weeks at the time). She didn't even hesitate - of course she did! She took complete control and didn't skip a beat! It was so great to see Carson and his great-grandmother spending time together.

I mentioned earlier that Grandmother was smart. Smart doesn't even begin to explain it! (I'm not even smart enough to think of a smarter word than smart.) I remember during a family reunion everyone was playing card games. I watched for a bit thinking to myself, I can figure it out. I was so wrong...not even a chance. She explained it to me over and over again - I still, to this day, have no idea what was going on.

Grandmother will truly be missed. But, we all have our special memories of her and something special that stands out in our mind. The good news - she's in heaven with her maker and her husband, Russell. That name may ring a bell...that's Carson's middle name, Carson Russell Hodges. Check out the initials of Grandmother: CRH...Carson's initials, CRH.

We love you and miss you Grandmother.


4 comments:

Unknown said...

WOW, Bonnie. I dont even know her and it brought tears to my eyes. Look at her with Carson. Beautiful photos of the two of them. Im sorry for your loss.

carol strange said...

She sounded like a lovely lady and you can see how much she loved Carson! Wish I could have meant her!!

Kathryn said...

I'm so sorry. This is a lovely remembrance.

Charlie Harr, CRH said...

Very nice. Thanks for this posting Bonney.

Post a Comment