Thursday, October 28, 2010

Spooks and Goblins

Halloween is definitely upon us. The ghosts, spooks and goblins have been out! Sunday night, or should I say Monday morning, we were awakened by the smoke detector going off, and not like the battery is low but like grab the baby and get the heck out of dodge! 2:45am.....Holy Toledo! I think that added about 10 years to my life.

Two side notes: 1) why do smoke detectors always go off in the middle of the night, why not during the day when we are coherent and 2) I really need to get lasik eye surgery. I lost probably a good 5 seconds trying to find my glasses and then actually getting them onto my face.

Ok, back to the story. Greg and I ran out of the bedroom and started smelling and hunting through the house. (I immediately flashed back to my grade school days when the fire department taught us about fire safety (don't open doors w/out checking the door knobs for heat). Quick shout out to the ACFD). No sign of smoke or fire , thank goodness. Just as we crawled back into bed and my heart started slowing down, it went off again! We were back up, back to smelling, back to hunting. Again, nothing. So, we did the next most logical thing - we took it off the wall, removed the batteries and stuck it in the bottom of a drawer. Now for you worried grandparents, we have a smoke detector in Carson's room, so all is well. :) Long story short, it was a faulty smoke detector and Gordon (the handyman) replaced it on Monday. We are back in working order!

We've also been having a "toad sound" in the kitchen. And when I say toad, I mean a HUGE toad. It was the weirdest thing. I had finally convinced myself that we had a pet toad, that we couldn't see. Enter Greg. He realized it was a piece of ice stuck in the ice maker (I know, not very exciting). Goodbye pet toad....

Lastly, we've had some high wind warnings the past couple of days. As we were shutting down the other night, I noticed the motion light in the back yard was on. Of course, I freaked out! Greg didn't help the situation either. He said it's probably someone trying to break in, the house is haunted, etc. Anything he could think of to scare me. Needless to say, it worked! I'm chalking it up to the wind blowing the leaves, therefore, triggering the motion light. Please don't try to convince me otherwise. :)

So we are in full spirit for Halloween! The village area of Redondo Beach (little downtown area w/ shops and restaurants) will block off the streets on Sunday from 4pm-7pm for the kids. We'll make sure to take and post lots of pics!

1 comments:

Kathryn said...

Same thing happened to our ice maker about a week ago. The sound nearly drove me to drink. Zach finally figured it out after I convinced him I was actually hearing something.

Post a Comment