Thursday, January 6, 2011

My little sister isn't so little anymore

Well, I feel old. Erica is 21 today! I CANNOT believe it....21. I remember her as a baby and now she's 21.

Here are some stories about Erica. I always wanted a baby sister. Every year when mom would ask what I wanted for Christmas, "a baby sister" was my response. Finally, I got my wish! Erica Anne Strange was born on January 6, 1990 (for those trying to do the math, I was 11 1/2 yrs old). She was so tiny and so cute. She kind of looked like a turtle! haha

Her first night home from the hospital she cried and cried and cried and cried. I finally got out of bed, went into the kitchen where all 3 of them were sitting, and asked mom if they could just take her back to the hospital until she stopped crying. I was dead serious. She didn't cry in the hospital so there had to be something wrong w/ her. Bad news (at that moment) - they didn't take her back to the hospital. Good news- she finally stopped crying. I even had mom write a note to my teachers that I may be a little tired due to the fact that I didn't get much sleep because my baby sister was crying all night! haha

I helped out a lot w/ Erica when I was in high school. I soooo appreciate that now! Mom and Chet had to be at work early so I would get Erica up each morning, feed her, dress her, fix her hair and take her to daycare. There were also times I would pick her up after I got out of school and took her to dance class or gymnastics. I remember the daily fights we would have. This one sticks out the most: she wanted to wear her new swimsuit to daycare (please note there was snow on the ground - weird Kansas weather when it would snow in April). She said she would wear tights and her coat (she didn't have the fashion sense back then that she has now) but I kept saying no. She was screaming at me! Mom called to check in and had to remind Erica, daily, that I was the boss! She would get soooo mad at me! haha

Erica was my baby - she wanted to do everything sissy did. In fact, I think she's left handed because of me. When I was doing homework at the kitchen table at night, she would also do "homework" (color or draw). I would catch her moving the crayon to her left hand, just like me.

Driving in the car we would sing to The Lion King soundtrack, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin....you name it, we sang to it! It was so much fun!! I think it was a nice break for mom. When I was little I made her watch Mary Poppins, Annie and The Sound of Music over and over and over. Secretly, I didn't mind watching movies with Erica.

And, then I moved away to college. I was heart broken to leave my baby and she had a hard time too. She came to visit from time-to-time. I remember trying to help her with long division over the phone (I probably wasn't much help though). Now she is no longer a baby, although she will always be my baby sister. I will always give her my opinion, be a second mom to her and boss her around.   :)

One of our songs we used to always sing together once I was away at college was, "If I had a Million Dollars", by the Barenaked Ladies. When I turned 30 she sent me a singing birthday card w/ that song. I started bawling - Greg couldn't understand what the problem was. No problem - just tears of happiness!

So, Happy Birthday Erica!! I am so very proud of you. You inspire me in so many ways, you have no idea. You are your own person and I love that about you! We are different types of people but that's what I love. I am so proud to call you my sister. Give life your all and even though you'll get knocked down, get back up and keep pushing. I love you rat tail!

Love,
Sis


1 comments:

Kathryn said...

This made me cry. So sweet and heartfelt.

Post a Comment